Wednesday 8 July 2015

My first Fedora event at FUDCon 2015 Pune

It was a unique experience attending FUDCon at Pune. I had a talk on 'Android Development on Fedora 21'. It was most unfortunate on my part to be present for only a single day for the event and then return back to Ranchi on the next day due to some urgent work. However, in that single day, I learn a lot. I could interact with active FOSS contributors, know about how such events are organised. There was an active global participation in the event and I had the great opportunity in exchanging with many speakers and participants from around the globe.
My talk was well attended by interactive participants of whom most were students. I think the number was about fifty. There were many students and teachers from MIT, Pune and also from other engineering colleges of Pune. My talk mainly covered the methods as to how we can use Fedora for android development in different languages. Most of us know that Android apps are mostly written in the Java programming language. However we can also use other languages such as native code, Python, Scala, and even create nice web applications using HTML, JavaScript and CSS. I discussed about the requirements and how they can be met. My talk covered issues on how Android apps could be created from the command line, the tools that can automate the process. An interesting part of the discussion also covered the different build tools that could be used and a brief difference on the similarities and differences between them. A section of the audience was interested when I showed them how Java could be configured on Fedora. Many of them were excited to know that Python could also be used as on of the languages of Android development.
After the talk I thought that it would have been nice if I could have actually done a workshop as there were so many questions from enthusiastic participants and actually I couldn't answer all of them due to lack of time and opportunity.
I also could discuss with some faculty members of MIT college about what they felt about this event. i found that most of them were totally overwhelmed by such a great participation and felt that such events could actually help to lift the standards of students and teachers in a great way. Some of them felt that the choice of the topics was indeed great and said that they could learn a lot from all the topics. Some of them expressed that they wanted to attend many more sessions but could not do so because there were seven tracks running parallel to each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment